Privacy: Reporting Gunshot and Knife Wounds

Patients may require treatment for injuries related to Gunshot and Knife wounds. In certain circumstances, a GP may need to share information with the local Police Force in order to safeguard others. Wherever possible, patient consent will be obtained however, in limited circumstances, such as where gaining consent is impractical or if the public interest outweighs the patients’ rights, information may be shared without the patient’s knowledge.

Controller contact details

The Haider Practice, St John’s Therapy Centre, 162 St John’s Hill, London, SW11 1SW

Tel 020 8812 4170 

Data Protection Officer contact details
Purpose of the processing To provide local Police Force with information relating Gunshot and Knife wounds for the protection of others.
The Lawfulness Conditions and Special Categories

The legal basis will be.
Article 6(1)(e) “processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller”.


Article 9(2)(g) “processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest, on the basis of Union or Member State law which shall be proportionate to the aim pursued, respect the essence of the right to data protection and provide for suitable and specific measures to safeguard the fundamental rights and the interests of the data subject”.

Recipient or categories of recipients of the shared data The data will be shared with the local Police Force.
Rights to object  You have the right to object to some or all of the information being shared a local police force. Contact the Controller or the practice.
Right to access and correction You have the right to access the data that is being shared and have any inaccuracies corrected. There is no right to have accurate medical records deleted except when ordered by a court of Law.
Retention period  The data will be retained for active use during the processing and thereafter according to NHS Policies and the law.
Right to Complain

You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office